The firework code – fire safety tips. It’s much safer to attend an organised bonfire or firework display, but if you’re thinking of using fireworks as part of your celebrations, please follow the safety advice below so that everyone has a good time without getting hurt.
Download our free Firework Safety Poster
- Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time.
- Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary.
- Light the firework at arm’s length with a taper and stand well back.
- Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks.
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
- Don’t put fireworks in pockets and never throw them.
- Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators.
- Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire.
Additionally please see below the UK Government Fireworks Guidance:
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
- Always supervise children around fireworks.
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
- Never give sparklers to a child under five.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Don’t let off fireworks after 11pm